Friday, October 30, 2009

Hauntingly Disturbing




The Smiths' controversial spin on the 5 children murdered and buried on Saddleworth Moor in 1963-65, known as The Moor Murders, is nothing BUT haunting. Johnny Marr's melancholy melody underneath Morrissey's depraved tale make for a dark trip through the English countryside. What sucks is that after hearing it, it stays with you a while. It's kinda hard to shake. Sheesh!
Taken from the Smiths' Suffer Little Children:

Over the moor, take me to the moor
Dig a shallow grave
And I'll lay me down

Lesley-Anne, with your pretty white beads
Oh John, you'll never be a man
And you'll never see your home again
Oh Manchester, so much to answer for

Edward, see those alluring lights?
Tonight will be your very last night

A woman said: I know my son is dead
I'll never rest my hands on his sacred head

But fresh lilaced moorland fields
Cannot hide the solid stench of death
Fresh lilaced moorland fields
Cannot hide the solid stench of death

Photo of the Smiths from ugo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment