Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Torch In Torchered


Springtime. I love springtime. Springtime brings warmth, fresh air, sunshine, rain, taxes and fear of unemployment.

While I was full of myself, pretending to be relevant in a wanna-be, country tinged outfit by way of Ziggy Stardust, preening to my people in a town of 3,000, Tammy Wynette was making some of the most painful, but-get-out-of-my-way music, Nashville has ever known.
Jimmy McDonough's Tragic Country Queen makes me wish I'd paid more attention. Makes me wish I could have been there to help her through.
Linda Ronstadt could've been my Tammy. But by the beginning of the 80s, I was headed for the exit ramp.
Almost ten years later, I saw Lucinda Williams bring the house down at the Metro in Chicago with her self-titled, Rough Trade debut.
She could have been my Tammy too. But then she had to go and get happy.

credits:
sfweekly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment